Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Frustrated to Fantastic

Frustrated to Fantastic

You ever have one of those days?  The alarm goes off, you hit it....stare at it...and then wish with all your might that you could stay in bed.  Oh, today was that day.  I've been very frustrated lately.  I've had to learn that its ok to be frustrated.  I try my best to be as upbeat, patient, and personable as possible.....but sometimes.....its ok to just be frustrated. 

I'm even frustrated about multiple things....my job leaves much to be desired, and the job market makes it inescapable.  I'm trying...trust me....this town is practically wall papered in my resumes.  (pssst....if you know of anything let me know.)  :)   In addition to that frustration, I've had an ongoing ear infection in my right ear....for as long as I can remember really.  Tubes when I was little etc. etc. etc.  I had surgery to have it fixed three weeks ago...and on Monday of this week...pain...infected again.  DOH!

Today, when that alarm went off and the world started screaming my name to pack lunches, and be awake, and mobile, friendly, and alive....I just wanted to roll over and scream NO!  FIVE MORE MINUTES...or hours..... but alas....I crawled out of bed and I went to work.  I made it through the day, and to my Dr's appointment where I was told the ear still looks good...more an irritation from the procedure than an infection and was sent on my merry way with some new ear drops.  (Finger's crossed)

So how did all this turn out fantastic?  I went to the grocery store.  Those of you who know me will know that I have a sick obsession with food.  I can get my retail therapy buying groceries.  I didn't get much, but I had some fresh ingredients and was starting to feel better, and hopeful for what experiment I'd be making this evening.  I picked up my daughter from school, and we headed home chatting about what we would make for supper.  I said crepes, she said frittata....we decided on empanadas.  I'd never attempted to make an empanada before....but we did it. 

She mixed the dough, I cooked the chicken, veggies, and spices.  She helped me roll the dough out, and cut it.  She carefully spooned the filling onto the dough, and I cringed a little at the scrape of her metal spoon on my skillet.  She even helped fold them and do the fork crinkle on the edges, ever so carefully.  When my husband got home he beat an egg and started doing the egg wash on the ones that were ready to bake.  And there we were, all three of us in my little kitchen making dinner together. 

Frustrated to fantastic.  I started focusing on the positive instead of the negative.  The night ended up being awesome...and the empanadas were pretty fantastic too.  Does my ear still hurt...well..yeah.  My job isn't magically blissful either.  Is it ok to be frustrated sometimes?  Absolutely.  But today, I was able to shake it off and I'm glad I did, because I was able to open my eyes to the things that weren't being frustrating.   Will I pop out of bed with a smile on my face tomorrow.....no promises......


"I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up. "
Benjamin Franklin





No comments:

Post a Comment