Thursday, May 27, 2010

Recipe Roundup - Pizza Dough (Bread Machine)



This is a great, and flavorful pizza dough recipe.  I use my bread machine to do the hard work.  Put the ingredients in the machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer, and select the dough setting.  This makes enough for two large pizza's.

1.5 Cups Warm Water
1 Tablespoon Honey
2Tablespoons Active Dry/or bread machine Yeast
1/4 Cup olive oil
2 1/2 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Flax Meal
1 teaspoon salt

I grind flax seeds into meal at home, but you can purchase flax meal at the store as well.  I add everything to the bread maching and include garlic, oregano, and other herbs for extra flavor.  I've even been know to throw in some sundried tomatoes on occasion.  :)  You can just toss in a bit of whatever you like for flavor, or nothing at all.

When the dough is done rising preheat the oven to 425 and dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Cut the dough into two balls.  (You can freeze half if you don't need two large pizza's.)

Oil a pizza pan or baking sheet.  Take one dough ball and spread onto your prepared pan working from the middle to the edges until desired thickness is reached.  Roll any excess dough onto itself at the edges to creat the outter crust.  Use a fork to poke holes in the crust.
Bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes.  The longer you pre-bake it, the crispier your crust will be.  Remove the crust from the oven and top with whatever toppings you like and return for the oven until cheese begins to brown.  I like to hide spinach and finely chopped onions between the sauce and the cheese, for the little one that thinks her slice is only pepperoni (or in this case veggie-roni).  Sometimes I brush the crust with butter, garlic, salt, and oregano for a garlic breadstick flavor. 

And Voila, you have a beautiful tastey pizza that your family will love.  Enjoy!


“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.”
Jack Brooks

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I will try this. I make homemade pizza on a regular basis, but this sounds like a better crust recipe than I've been using. I like the addition of honey. (I like honey in just about everything!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica,
    I like honey in just about everything too. There's just something about a dab of honey that makes everything a little better! :)
    Delaina

    ReplyDelete